Indicators - we all know. While some may be familiar with chemical indicators, others with indicators on cars and other vehicles. Most of us would have come across road signs which indicate the directions. I am sure we all would have come across some form of indicator or other. There are instances of indicators everywhere.
Being a Science student, I can talk about chemical indicators - no, not at length - but surely I can talk about them. Phenolphthalein, Methyl Orange or Iodine - they are all chemical indicators. What do they indicate? They indicate some point of interest in the chemical reaction. They help us to measure the progress of a chemical reaction.
Similarly, we have have what I would call 'Social Indicators'. They indicate the progress of a system in the society. I could think of only a few but surely interesting examples of 'Social Indicators'. If you can think of more (or even better?!), do let me know.
Being a Science student, I can talk about chemical indicators - no, not at length - but surely I can talk about them. Phenolphthalein, Methyl Orange or Iodine - they are all chemical indicators. What do they indicate? They indicate some point of interest in the chemical reaction. They help us to measure the progress of a chemical reaction.
Similarly, we have have what I would call 'Social Indicators'. They indicate the progress of a system in the society. I could think of only a few but surely interesting examples of 'Social Indicators'. If you can think of more (or even better?!), do let me know.
Exams
Every now and then, the question over the futility and the utility of the examination system. People keep asking the authorities to do away with them. I believe you need the exams simply because they are indicators. They indicate your progress in a course of study. However, just as chemical indicators are added in small quantities (a few drops), exams should be conducted judiciously. An overdose of exams will only hamper the progress.
Sensex
I am not a student of Economics. However, any aware citizen of this country would be knowing the role of the Sensex in indicating the state of the Indian Economy. Sensex going up implies that the economy is doing well - sab kuch badiya hai (All is well). If the Sensex is volatile, investors tend to lose faith in the structure that is in place that helps our economy grow.
Elections
Elections (atleast in a democratic country) signal progress. Timely and fair elections help people assess the legislators and the policy makers. Absence of elections indicates that something is wrong with the democratic setup.
Attendance
What does the attendance in a class indicate? According to me, it indicates how well a professor teaches of probably a professor's popularity. Or it may even indicate the smartness (or should I say laziness?) of the students enrolled in the course.
I am positive you should be able to find more examples of social indicators. However, before signing off let me share with you what I consider are the essentials of a 'Social Indicator'
I am positive you should be able to find more examples of social indicators. However, before signing off let me share with you what I consider are the essentials of a 'Social Indicator'
- It has a property that changes.
- It measures progress
- It aids in progress
- Too much will surely spoil the broth
And lastly...
We need to pay heed to indicators

2 comments
Attendance as a social indicator? Tell me about it! I've lost 2 years in college due to it.
@Ibanov, Sir Rekaf: It does indicate things, notwithstanding any personal grievances that you may have against attendance. ;)
For instance, it may mean that you aren't serious about your classes, or probably you are too lazy to attend them. Or it may even indicate some other commitment that you had because of which you couldn't attend classes.
The important thing is - you should know how to interpret the indicators.
Post a Comment