Thursday, July 9, 2009

Traffic Congestion: What is the solution?

Everyday, I am faced with the problem of traffic congestion. We all face the problem 365 days of the year.

It cannot be escaped. It has become a part of us. We have started accepting it.

Believe it or not, it takes me 45 minutes to go to Pattom from my home in Trivandrum - a mere 5 km.

Nevertheless, I am an incorrigible optimist who believes that things will change and for the better. So what is the solution to traffic congestion?

Mass Rapid Transport?

Call it the metro, maglevs or the BRT (Bus Rapid Transit Systems) - they have a huge potential notwithstanding the failure of the first BRT corridor in Delhi.


Mega Cities?

Will we stop travelling? Will our needs be fulfilled in a single mega city. A city which houses not just our homes but also our offices. As the cliche goes, no dream too big. Who knows?!


Flying Cars?

When most people think of flying cars, they think of the Jetsons. Nevertheless, flying cars are in the process of getting perfected and it won't be long before we see commercial flying cars.

With the introduction of flying cars, we will be transporting our domain from the two dimensional to the 3 dimensional - a many fold increase in the traffic space.

I have my reservations though. Will the flying cars aggravate the already existing air traffic problems? Will there be more collisions in the air than on the earth? These are questions that can answered only after the first commercial flying car is available.

Going back to cycles?

Many have argued that cycles are the best means of transportation. The environment is spared, so also are deadly accidents. Not only that, bicycles occupy a fraction of space occupied by cars and buses. This ways they can navigate even the most crowded streets easily.

I doubt whether bicycles will be adopted for long distance travel. But surely when it comes to intra-city travel, bicycles sure have a future.

Bicycle Transit Systems are being developed in which air will be moved through the system in the same direction in which the bicyclist is riding.

If you wish to find out more about the pioneering ideas in the field of Bicycle Transit Systems that have been coming up, you may visit the official site of the Bicycle Transportation Systems, Inc here

What do you think is the solution?

4 comments

One more blogger said...

I guess the tech savvy generation will go for Flying cars! :D

Mainak said...

Ah maybe! I guess it is going to depend on a lot of factors! Yeah, maybe the flying cars would be for the tech savvy.

Or maybe we could make it more accessible to the Junta. I hope it doesn't remain the privilege of only the tech savvy.

The tech savvy maybe the first to use it - but I hope it trickles down to the masses.

Unknown said...

flying cars??
come onn..
the solution is to make using cars expensive..
and in CBD congestion charge..
better public trabsport,.
covernment has a lot of optiions but they are not doing anythng.

Mainak said...

@homaira92: I guess your viewpoint is an administrative viewpoint and mine the technological viewpoint. None of them can counter traffic congestion in isolation. It has to be a careful balance of the two that can be used to ease traffic congestion in cities.

Hope that clears the ambiguity!

Post a Comment