The Board Exams
When I was in Xth, I was taught that I had to present my matter well in the Board exams because the examiner got paid very poorly for the answer-scripts. So, I should try and make things easier for him. And that I did, with wonderful results.
However, it has led me to think about the candidates who were as good if not better than me but ended up with lower marks just because they could not present the matter well.
Step Marking
But then came along IIT. Either you get a zero or full marks. Nothing in between. Nothing for knowing how to go about it. They said it was a question of lives. If you designed a faulty bridge that collapsed, you had failed. You couldn’t go around saying that you had designed the method by the right method. It was the classic case of operation successful but patient dead.
They had a point. But what could they expect out of candidates in 3 hours of tense exam? Shouldn’t they be awarding step marks?
Why I like sports
The best thing about sports is the objectivity. You are either first or you aren’t. Either you ran the race in 10 seconds or you didn’t. You either lifted 100 kgs or you didn’t. Nobody can counter you on that point. Either it is or it isn’t. No middle ground.
And why I hate politics
Politics in the generic sense which pervades our daily lives. For me, it would possibly be the Hall, Kgp elections, interviews and so and so forth. I have felt it is all subjective. What may be good for me may not be good for you. What I like you don’t. What is a perfect answer for me in an interview is possibly the worst answer you could possibly think of.
So, is the verdict in favour of Objectivity? Not really. I wouldn’t want to flunk an exam just because it wasn’t my day. I knew the things but it was just that – it wasn’t my day. Shouldn’t you be awarding me for the hard work that I put in through the year? And oh! nobody would be reading my blog if it was either good or bad. Nothing in between.
What is your opinion? Subjectivity or Objectivity?

2 comments
well life is more objective these days..people are only interested in what they see...what is actually happening...not w=the intentions or method behind it...so at the end of the day one's got to be both lucky & smart...nice little post though;-)
yeah, very true. Life has become a lot more mechanized (=objective?) these days. One does have to be lucky to make it through in the rat/cat/dog race.
Post a Comment