I was a DCEite once. That was 2 years ago before I cleared JEE and made my way to IIT. That was when DCE was the college where nothing ever happened. Except mass bunks. You could graduate out of DCE and yet you wouldn’t know that you had an engineering degree under your belt. It was all calm out there. But then this happened some time back. DCE got converted into DTU: Delhi Technology University.
Small Fish in A Big Pond
It didn’t sound very good. But well, I thought: it must be for the better. If not, it was possibly a publicity gimmick before the Commonwealth Games. That is all. After all, Indians have an affliction towards changing names. Bombay –> Mumbai, Calcutta –> Kolkata, Madras –> Chennai… the list goes on. If this could be the fate of 3 of the 4 metro cities of India (and that of DIT NSIT too!), then I guess DCE is just a small fish in a big pond. And how did it matter anyway?
A Reason To Protest
There was a catch though. When DCE got upgraded(?) to DTU, the fees got hiked and the student intake increased. Now, disturbing as it may sound, I am sure this wasn’t the only reason for the disturbance. Such events always build up. I could draw an analogy with the Rohit Kumar case. Although everyone at IIT knew of the poor state of affairs of B.C. Roy, nobody really cared as much till the incident. The incident gave them a reason to protest.
The Events
What followed (in fact what generally follows) is a string of protests in support of their cause: candlelight marches, rallies, exam-bunks (as a mark of protest!) and the demands. As an outsider now, all of this seemed a little irrational to me. Why did they want themselves to upgraded to IITs? Didn’t we have 14 IITs already which were struggling to cope up with the existing infrastructure. (Ever tried sharing a room meant for a single person?) If they thought becoming IITs would alleviate their condition, couldn’t they be more mistaken. (And yeah, IITs have proposed a fee hike to Rs 4 lakh a year. Beat that.)
A Pattern
You could protest against the administration in DCE/DTU. Try that in IIT. And IIT without JEE? It may sound very romantic. But let me tell you my dear friends, JEE exists for a reason. And CGPA? Hah! as if it is going to really make a difference. Why decorate the demands with all these when all you want is better infrastructure? Oh, this might also be a nice chance to settle a few personal scores: The Director, the Sports Director and the rest of them. Didn’t we do that in Kgp as well? Who is the present Director of IITKgp now?
Coming to a Consensus
I could really see frightening parallels. This was how students protested the world over. And this was how the administration reacted: almost always. It is almost a pattern. And yet those protesting failed to see it.
I have been a part of DCE. And possibly a part of me is still in DCE yearning for the college life that I had there. But possibly my experience at IIT has made me look at things from a slightly different perspective. And as I write this post, I wonder if the protests could serve their purpose without drowning in the irrational? Could there be a genuine attempt to come to a consensus rather than just being a part of the mob? Could DCEites display a certain amount of maturity in dealing with such matters. After all, they consider themselves the crown in the crown of Delhi.
P.S.1: I am aware that this post might draw some sharp reactions from certain corners. However, I would ask you to ponder on what I have written above before jumping to conclusions.
P.S.2: I changed over from DCE to IIT. Mixed feelings. DCE becomes IIT. Feels a little strange.

10 comments
awesome man...ultimate way of writing indeed...:-)
Thanks a lot pal! Hope you people come to a consensus.
How long were you a DCEite?
A year. Spent my first year there! Had a lot of fun. The recent happenings are really disturbing to say the least.
so whats the difference u feel b/w IIT and DCE?
i always wanted 2 know that does IIT really stands upto its name in TEACHING QUALITY, to be direct to the point?
I guess the Professors are really qualified out here in IITs (all PhDs!!). But that doesn't necessarily translate into good teaching quality! We have really crappy Profs here too.
I guess why IITs really stand out is more because of the campus culture than teaching/infrastructure (not much of a difference) etc. that produces well rounded people by the time they pass out!
Hope that answers your query! :)
hey thanx a lot, it does answer my query! and ya Wish u and ur family a very Happy new year and a bright future ahead :)
just for the last time, check out the link i posted in "shout mix" plz :)
hi i am +2 student can u tell me which is better among nit and iisc....and do nitians get good placements offer to work and will it be good to do robotics from nit..did any nit offer that...and can u tell me how u prepared for iitjeee and also which college is better for engineering after iit...................sorry 2 many questions !!
IISc is mainly for Post-grad. Although they've started a new undergrad program, I don't have much of an idea about it. BITS, NIT, DCE etc. etc. are good colleges after IIT. Very few colleges in India offer mechatronics but you may take mechanical/electrical. All the Best!
Post a Comment