Monday, March 2, 2009

Labels

Indian society despite its lacunae and shortcomings provides a very interesting study. In my last post, I talked of the Jugaad system - a roundabout system of solving problems. Such systems have become a part and parcel of the Indian society.

Although every system is more or less within the legal framework, they have formed such complicated cobwebs that change is out of question - and the cobwebs keep increasing by the day. I discovered labels in the society much before I discovered them on Gmail. And contrary to Gmail labels, they add to the Jungle.

Below, I have presented a few I have have come across in school, college and hostel. And as usual, you are free to add your own to the list

First the ones with negative connotations

Maggu

This is the kind of person who is always in his room. (S)he believes in rote study rather than understanding

Ghissu

The term 'Ghissu' I have rarely come across in Kharagpur. A Ghissu is a really hardworking diligent chap and may or may not be a Maggu. However, this distinction is rarely made and often it is used synonymously with Maggu

Now the positive ones

Though they outnumber the negative ones in my list, they have more or less a similar effect on the Indian society

They promote hypocrisy

Phodu

This is the kind of fellow who achieves miraculous results with (relatively)(very) less effort. They are what one might call 'street-smart' people

Bond

Etmologically speaking, this word comes from Bond 007. I guess you all know about him. Someone who can do anything - pull off unimaginable feats with amazing perfection

Stud

This fellow is supposed to be a complete individual with an awesome personality. (S)he is not just good at academics but also in interacting and socialising with people.

Genius

Einstein has been famously quoted as saying

Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

This definition does not hold in the Indian society. Only a Ghissu can qualify this definition. What people look for in a genius is

1% perspiration and 99% inspiration

Update

Two more that I missed earlier.

God

Self explanatory, I suppose. Generally, in Kgp lingo you can be a god in something. God in Drams, God in Guitar, God in football and so on.

Pro

As suggested by Rash I am adding Pro. Derived from Professional.

More suggestions welcome.

Almost everyone is labeled depending on his behaviour in the society and his/her skills. However, my position is very clear on this issue -

I hate being labeled

2 comments

RaSh said...

I don't think there's anything like a "positive" label. We use all of these to only mock ppl. :P

Also add: Proooo (derived from Professional) :D

Mainak said...

Exactly, we use these labels only to mock people. Hmmm...Pro is a very valid addition

Post a Comment