Manoj Kumar, a first year student of Naval Architecture Department has committed suicide.
These incidents do not surprise me any longer. Many may consider it my (moral?) responsibility as a blogger to write about the latest incident in Kharagpur.
Just Another Incident
Three deaths in three months. Just another figure.
Kgp no longer astonishes me. I have started looking at such incidents with a passive indifference. As if it didn't matter.
Drug cases. Theft cases. Accidental deaths and now suicides.
There was a time when Kgp excited me. But that period is over. The honeymoon is over.
Death: An end in itself
Can anything but death justify suicide?
This must have been the same Manoj Kumar who had taken part in the candlelight vigil on 23rd March. The same Manoj Kumar who stood for life less than 3 months back. The same Manoj Kumar who like all Kgpians wanted a well equipped hospital.
IITians: Are they rational?
What makes IITians take such an extreme step? IITians, who are selected on their ability to reason - because of their rational mind.
A suicide is not a rational act - it cannot be.
Poor grades, personal problems? Did the suicide solve the problem? His suicide has made life difficult not only for his family but also for fellow Kgpians.
The flip side of the coin
I do not wish to sensationalise the issue.
This is the flip side of life at IIT.
Things won't always go right. Expectations may be high. Peers may be doing well. Things may go horribly wrong. Frustration and anger may build up.
But a human life is too precious to give away.

5 comments
'Just another incident'
No Jazzy, this wasn't just another incident.
To me the news was a shocker.
Maybe because the person in question was in my section. Maybe because he once copied my electrical lab work. Maybe because I had interacted with him. But if human life is so precious to be lost, how can you term it as 'JUST ANOTHER INCIDENT'
Nevertheless a dutiful post Jazzy. As I can see, you have refrained yourself from rebuking the institute and don't want to start the customary "Blame the system" drama.
Ah well, life goes on, even if you happen to know the victim personally.
@Prateek: Nothing at Kgp astonishes me any more. If the fellow chose to die, nothing could have stopped him. I do not know him personally and really do not what kind of person he was. But if he chose to die, the system could have done nothing to persuade him to live.
@Kaushik: Maybe life does go on, maybe it doesn't. I can't make head or tail of it. Nevertheless, I would rather not make head or tail of it. These days, I take things as they come - not complaining, not feeling - as if I were watching the scenes of a drama unfold.
It is sad to know about the situation at Kharagpur.
There are many ways in which suicide is unwarranted, whatever be the 'compulsions', if you can call them that. But the single largest factor for me is PARENTS. They are the most affected entity.
Whatever the adversities, whatever the situation, all that needs to be done is putting mind over matter.
@Saksham: True, the social milieu in which one is born and brought up has a lot to do with one's decisions in life.
One cannot go about blaming the institute for a suicide. A suicide is a voluntary decision and the institute can do anything to stop it.
Post a Comment