Sunday, February 14, 2010

Batti Department - Part 1

Exams. That time of the year when you wish there wasn't any light. No Batti. No Batti Department.

Going by Batti Department's reputation though, you could have exams even if there wasn't anything to test.

Technically speaking, Instrumentation Engineering is a subset of Electrical Engineering. Some say it has the best of both Electrical and Electronics. One could argue that the placement chart of Instrumentation Engineering almost eclipses all other departments. So you need to slog as much. They say the grass is always greener on the other side.

Here is a question to my fellow mates not from the Batti Department. Could you in 4 years of your stay in Kgp connect a circuit which even vaguely resembles the one below?


On first glance, it would appear that we were hatching plans to blow off Batti department. But I can assure you, cunning as we may be - we too have a heart. This is a DAC and an ADC converter encapsulated into one single assembly. We had to assemble that in a span of 2 hours or face the prospect of spending 2 hours in the library which IITKgp proudly proclaims as being the largest of its kind in Asia.

That is Batti Department for you.

Before I sign off on Part - 1, let me leave you with Batti Department's Profile on Orkut.

Batti Department

about me:I am the most feared department in Kgp. That should do.
age:Although I am 59 years old, the average age of Professors in my department is more than 60 years.
birthday:Officially, it is May 1950, but I like to celebrate it during the end-sem exams.
location:In a naxal hit area called Kgp, though even the militants are somewhat scared of me.

Rest of the profile isn't that important. In case you are interested, you can search "Batti Department" on Orkut and read the rest of the story.

Cheers!

PS: I am assuming that there will be a sequel to this some time in the future, though I cannot really promise one at this point of time.

4 comments

BK Chowla, said...

I wish I was capable of commenting on this subject

Mainak said...

Chawlaji, it is about my Department in my college. Electrical Department aka Batti Department.

Anonymous said...

well..no clue abt it..:) But thought ill drop in and see what else other than this u have in store!!

Mainak said...

arhh... why are people having so much trouble understanding my posts? Possibly, this post was for a Kgpian. It would be difficult for non-Kgpians to appreciate the feelings associated with Batti department.

But yeah, do keep visiting Jazzonomics. Since the posts here are on a variety of topics, I'm sure there will be some that interest you!

Cheers!

Post a Comment