Role models are our idols. They are the ones from whom we draw inspiration and courage.
I admire
Dr. Manmohan Singh
For leading the nation.
It is no mean task to lead a nation of 1 billion - more so in as diverse a nation as India.
I admire him - not because he is an economist. Not because he is a visionary. Not because he is a man of character.
But because he leads India.
Roger Federer
For being as emotional as he is.
Federer may be ranked No.2. Or he may be the greatest player that tennis has ever produced. But I look up to him, not because he is a champion player but because
he doesn't suppress his emotions.
Because he is emotional - like normal human beings should be.
But aren't.
Ayn Rand
For believing in herself.
I find it difficult to believe that more than half a dozen readers should be interested in reading my posts.
Consider the faith Ayn Rand had in herself that made her come up with not just her own philosophy but believe that people would read her 1000 page epics.
Bill Gates
For being so rich.
He has not just created an empire that is difficult to create in the modern world, he has managed to ward off any threats that he has faced.
I don't admire Gates for his philanthropic achievements but simply because
he is so rich.
Aung San Suu Kyi
For being so courageous.
Most of us would have given up. But she hasn't.
And that is why I admire her.
What is your 5?

5 comments
I haven't thought about it but it'll definitely not include someone for being rich :P
I think its very interesting that you've included Bill Gates and especially for that reason.. But I see why and I totally agree with you on that..
@Ibanov, Sir Rekaf: Being rich has a direct correlation to your ability. No one becomes rich by chance. Consider the fact - how many people in India use genuine Microsoft products?
In spite of software piracy left-right, Bill Gates has managed to remain one of the richest individuals on planet Earth.
@Ravitej: True. Being rich isn't a sin. If someone is rich, it is because he/she has worked really hard.
In a documentary that I saw on History Channel, they talked of how Bill Gates would do programming for 48 hours non-stop. Now how many of us would be able to do that?
P.S: Bureaucrats notwithstanding, I can safely assume that a rich person is a person of ability ;)
Mainak, unfortunately that's not true. One does not need to be able in order to be rich. Whereas in earlier times, you could just loot and plunder to get what you need, nowadays the means are more subtle - while explaining this would take up too many words, the gist of it is that even if one is cunning, greedy and selfish, one can get rich without any ability, unless you consider one or more of the aforementioned three to be such.
Also, people who are poor, you have any reason to believe that they are less able?
@Kaushik: I said Bureaucrats notwithstanding - they are the modern looters.
Anyway, I would like to become rich the Bill Gates way. He is a person of ability and he is rich :)
Post a Comment