Monday, October 5, 2009

Trivandrum: Picturesque City Deep South

I have spent two vacations in Trivandrum now and although I cannot claim to have a diploma in matters relating to authentic South Indian experience - I can safely say that I much better equipped than I was a semester ago about matters quintessentially "Mallu".

For one, I can with fair degree of expertise, read the Malayalam script (though I need to improve upon the Kootaksharams - that is something Shashi Tharoor and I have in common). Here is my name in Malayalam.
മൈനാക്‌ 

Secondly, I have spent some time visiting people in and around Trivandrum - Kovalam beach, Shankhamugam beach, Kanyakumari et al.


Thirdly, I have tasted some Appams and Kadla Curry in a resturaunt downtown.

Kerala although having impressed me in many respects has also disappointed me.

For one, I was told of the magnificient food in Kerala. And though, I fully agree that the food is no doubt good, the spicy and the coconutty nature of the food is bound to discourage any non-Mallu from trying it.

Secondly, Kerala though largely a literate state - has people who are unwilling to converse in Hindi or English.

Thirdly, the trouble with Bengal is the trouble with Trivandrum. The colour Red. The communist colour.

What I liked about Trivandrum was

Their attachment to culture - be it Kalaripayattu, Kathakali, Onam or Ayurveda.

More so, the way Trivandrum being a traditional city is moving forward in the 21st century without detaching itself from the past is worth marvelling!

And the way people in this wonderful city treat guests is something I could go on talking of.

Thanks a lot, Trivandrum!


7 comments

sree said...

Congrats dude on your linguistic abilities!!Fast Learner and I m sure you will be comfortable with Koottaksharams very soon....

Kerala Food is Spicy and most of them contains coconut as a main ingredient.And if there is no coconut it is no more authentic ,right!
Again c'mon dude nobody compels you to take Kerala food for your life time. It's ok for one time.

Did you take 'Sadya'? If not try it once.....

Near Secretariat in TVM there is a Statue Hotel!!Small but still you get a lot of authentic Kerala dishes like Champa Puttu,Appam,Idiyappam,Vattayappam....try it.

I have a question ....What made you feel that TVM is still attached with Kalaripayattu and all those you mentioned?......

Did you try talking to people in English? I dont think they must be having problem in conversing in English.But Hindi,yes for most of them Hindi must be the alien Language that they hear while changing channels in TV and the one which Sharukh khan and Amitabh Bachan speak in films.

And try reading at least translations of Malayalam works....Now you will be in better position to Understand them...try Madhavikutty(Kamala Das), Basheer or MT .You will come to know why these people are world famous.

Regards

Mainak said...

:D Thanks a lot for the tips on learning Malayalam! I guess I'll sit down some time in the winter break and try to catch up with my Malayalam.

Yeah, I really want to try 'Sadya'. My family members tried it during Onam. Unfortunately, I was in Kgp then.

Well, actually...err...it is kind of simple. You can see all those Ayurveda ads on Kerala tourism + there are lots of really good dance & martial arts schools in Trivandrum. So I really felt that way & I am sure that Mallus in fact do care for their culture/heritage.

I won't indulge myself into the debate of "whether Mallus speak Hindi/English". All I can say is - once I learn Malayalam, I'll no longer need Hindi/English in Trivandrum ;)

Cheers!

sree said...

There you go thats the spirit!!.....I wish all the best in your endeavours to learn Malayalam.

And as far as the Ayurveda and dance schools are concerned I would like to say "most" of them are like T20 which have became a capsule which can be swallowed directly and quickly and unlike T20 "again most" of them have no authenticity or credibility. But I do agree there are a few Traditional genuine centers of such kind.....though I doubt whether TVM can boast about many.

As a malayali I beg to differ regarding a Malayali's attitude towards his culture and heritage.He is far behind most other linguistic groups in country in this aspect( I guess Tamilians are far ahead most of us).The only thing which he still love to adhere the most is caste considerations during marriages( though no other discriminations based on caste is common)

aditya said...

yo jazz,
that was really cool writing about kerala.. i respect the bright side and accept the deficiencies u mentioned about kerala...i agree with vishnu too...but he has some sort of grudge against trivandrum and its people(ehem...). why dont u come out with me this coming winter(there is no such thing down there) and i will show u trivandrum from a different perspective

Mainak said...

@vishnu & @aditya: I am sure both of you being from Kerala would know much more about Trivandrum and other parts of the state than I do. Sure...I'll be looking forward to visiting places in Trivandrum/Kerala & get to know the people better.

Can't really comment on the Malayali attitude towards culture/heritage as compared to the non-Malayali attitude. But as they say...every place has its shortcomings as well as bright points. Hopefully, I'll know Kerala even better as time goes by!

causticji said...

Kerala non-veg food is awesome!

And what exactly is your issue with Red?!

Mainak said...

My issue isn't with red. My issue is with the forces associated with the colour red. I won't go much into it. But I am sure every well educated Bengali and Mallu would know the trouble one has to go through every now and then when strikes are called etc. etc.

I hope you get the point :)

Post a Comment