Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Military Brats: A Class Apart


I had a rather heated discussion with my roommate (who happens to be from an army background) the other day about who were more successful - someone from an Army background or someone from an Air Force background.

After quiet a bit of discussion, what I realised was - military brats are indeed special. Wikipedia lists some of the well known military brats from India - Preity Zinta, Celina Jaitley, Neha Dhupia, Vinod Dham, Lara Dutta, Sushmita Sen and Gul Panag. The complete list of Indian as well as foreign military brats can be found here.

Some of those who didn't make it to the list were Lt. Col. Rajyavardhan Rathore and Major Dhyan Chand simply because they weren't military brats. They were serving personnel.

What makes them tick?

This makes it all the more convincing. There is every reason to believe those from a Military background are indeed special. So, what is it that makes them tick? That makes them a class apart from the rest. A breed in themselves.

As a starting point, we might take a look back at the list. What do we notice? Most of those on the list are actors/actresses or sports persons. What can that indicate?
  1. Military brats are outgoing? (I'll assume that actors/actresses are!)
  2. They are disciplined? (How else do you expect them to get to the top in the sporting world?)
  3. They had a lot of opportunity. (That I guess is a must - no matter how talented you are)
Those in the military are frequently transferred from place to place. It is at times quiet inconvenient for the family. But on hindsight, it exposes one to such myriad and varied cultures that one is bound to be outgoing. One has to make new friends every time the family relocates. You cannot stick with your 'best friend' forever.

The social fabric of military life is quiet strong. There are frequent get-togethers, bounce ins, potlucks and what not! One gets to interact with people on a regular basis. Talking to people isn't a choice - it is the only option.

I pondered upon the second point for quiet some time. Actually, all military brats aren't disciplined. It is a choice. But, the thing can easily get into you. Looking at people around you leading a really disciplined life can inspire you. Nothing runs in military without discipline. And that thing is bound to get into you if you are connected with the military in some fashion.

And opportunities? Loads of them. One doesn't have to go looking for them. They just keep coming to you. Like I discussed in my posts on A Typical Air Force Station and 5 Reasons to Join Air Force, the opportunities to make it big are aplenty. It is just a matter of grabbing them!

Just Actors?

So what is the military brat authoring Jazzonomics going to be? An actor or a sports person? Chances of either look pretty slim.

Dig a bit deeper and one can find technocrats from military backgrounds. Arun Sarin, a graduate of IIT Kharagpur and CEO of Vodafone group was a military brat. (He though was well known for being good at boxing and hockey!). Vinod Khosla, a graduate of IIT Delhi and a very influential person in the Silicon Valley is a military brat. He was one of the co-founders of Sun Microsystems and became the first CEO and Chairman of Sun Microsystems.

Military brats are a class apart and I have every reason to believe so. What do you think?

7 comments

Anonymous said...

Pretty well written dude. Lets see how far u stand up to ur theory.... ;)

Anishenoy said...

My first and only question: Do you consider yourself to be a mil. brat?
If yes kindly replace the question mark in the picture with your own pic....:)
In case you dont, we will hav to take matters onto our own Hands; and yeah, *Hartelijk gefeliciteerd*!!!!!

Mainak said...

@atish: 1. Thanks a lot.
2. I guess that only time will tell ;)

@Anishenoy: 1. First and foremost, *Dank u* ;)
2. By virtue of definition, I am. Take a look at the definition yourself ;) I guess even you would qualify as a military brat.
3. The question mark is generic. My photograph won't be.

Anishenoy said...

Dude, just write *Connect* and put the modified pic!
Wouldn't that qualify as a generic question.....

besides ppl wud know more know abt u as well...:)

causticji said...

Very interesting and very nicely written, although a bit more (read: non-wiki) research wrt Indian military brats will be much appreciated. A sequel, perhaps?

Mainak said...

@Kaushik: Do I give the impression of a wiki-researched post? A sequel? I thought this had all I knew of?! Maybe once my exams end, I'll think of it. And yeah! for a more comprehensive list, do check this post on Indian Military dot Info [The list isn't very reliable though. Once has to cross check and stuff]

abhimanyu said...

super like....

Post a Comment