Sunday, May 10, 2009

IAF: A Typical AF Station

In Thiruvananthapuram, I live outside the AF campus. And somehow, I feel out of place. It isn't the same as before. But the moment I enter the campus, I feel at home.

Why? How? These are difficult questions. As I sat pondering over such questions, I decided to jot down what constitutes a typical AF station - and this is what I came up with.

Block structure

Unlike in the civil, where most people live in either apartments or bungalows, in the AF, houses are built in blocks.

Generally, 4 families are allotted a block. The families on the ground floor get gardens (to maintain!) while the first floor families get terraces.

On the rear, quarters for the domestic helpers is built. So, a single block will have 4 quarters of one kind and 4 of another.

The Institute/Mess

Every AF Station has a mess/institute which is the nerve centre of all social activities. The mess has a TV room, a library, an ante room, a bar, a dining hall and a very well maintained lawn.

All social gatherings of importance such as farewells, welcome parties and unit anniversaries are held in the mess lawn/ante room.

Sports Facilities

The gymnasium, billiards room and the golf course all come under the tutelage of the mess.

Almost every AF station has an indoor badminton court, table tennis tables and a squash court.

Golf courses are present subject to availability of space. Individuals in the armed forces get a rock solid sporting culture imbibed in them.

Other amenities

Every AF station has a well equipped SMC (Station Medicare Centre). The SMC has very well trained doctors and a dispensary for the medicines. 

A Shopping Complex caters to the daily requirements of the AF station.

Most AF stations have a Children's Park and a school inside the campus. The station is, in short, self sufficient.

Security

Security is a major concern of any defence establishment. An AF station is (supposed to be) well protected with the entrance being manned 24x7. 

This gives a sense of security to those residing within the campus and binds them into a very well knit unit.

The structure of most AF stations are more or less similar. There may, however be differences based on the location and the strategic importance of the station. 

AF stations have always given me a sense of belongingness. I presume even you would be very attached to the locality you are living in. What is it like? In what ways is it different from an AF campus? Do let me know.

4 comments

Prateek Agarwal said...

I love AF stations. As you said, 'it gives us a sense of belonginess'. Not that living in civil is not fun, but the kind of culture in air force stations is something which can't be experienced elsewhere.

Mainak said...

@Prateek: 3 cheers to AF Stations!! I guess one can understand that only when one lives in an AF station and then has to live in the civil or vice-versa.

Anishenoy said...

Dude, I liked everything in your blog and agree wholeheartedly with everything except for the part where you said that the Station Medical Centers(SMCs) have well trained doctors. While, yes, there are certain excellent doctors in the IAF, sadly this is the exception rather than the rule; with the majority being uninterested in their jobs.

Mainak said...

@Anishenoy: I cannot comment on whether the doctors are/appear interested/uninterested in their jobs.

But I don't think you can dispute the fact that they are well trained. You cannot dispute the fact that those serving in armed forces get good medical facilities - dispensaries, hospitals (well equipped ones) - and - doctors are always available.

Post a Comment